Work-Only Devices are Going Extinct

By: Absolute Editorial Team | 3/26/2014

Work-only smartphones are becoming a thing of the past (if they aren’t already). According to research from Forrester, 55% of US Information Workers would prefer to use one single smartphone for work and personal use (as opposed to just 32% who would prefer separate smartphones).

Not only do workers want a single smartphone, it’s clear that those who still have work-“only” phones are using them for personal use. The Absolute Software 2013 Mobile Enterprise Risk Survey showed that 63% of respondents have work phones which double as personal phones.

According to Forrester Research, almost half (45%) of mobile apps on work devices are used exclusively for personal use. An additional 23% of mobile apps are used for both work and personal use, making a total of 68% of apps being used for personal use on work devices. 

How is corporate data security influenced by this personal use? How does the perception of device and data value change when the lines between work and personal use of these devices are blurred?

Our findings show workers have a lax attitude toward securing their devices, with many believing that leaking or losing company data is not their problem. Employees also indicated an inaccurate perception of the value of the data on their devices (they think corporate data on their phones is worth less than $500!). Put together, these misconceptions could result in huge compliance fees and PR nightmares if data were breached.

Through our Unified IT services, combining both the endpoint security and endpoint management capabilities of Absolute Computrace and Absolute Manage, your organization can gain control over data residing on the endpoint, whether it’s a BYOD device or corporate owned. Whether it’s tracking and securing lost or stolen devices, monitor the security of BYOD devices or trigger alerts if blacklisted apps are used, we have you covered.

Financial Services