Students Pushing for Mobile Devices in the Classroom

By: Absolute Editorial Team | 6/3/2013

A new study on eLearning by Pearson and Harris Interactive indicates a growing desire by students to use mobile devices in the classroom. According to the study, 92% of elementary, middle and high school students believe that mobile devices will change the way students learn in the future, with nearly the same figure predicting mobile devices will make learning more "fun." The survey revealed that 69% of students would like to use mobile devices more in the classroom.

Although not representative of the whole population, the survey revealed that 36% of 4th and 5th graders owns a tablet device, with 34% of middle school students also owning a tablet device. According to the survey, 25% of all students intend to purchase a tablet in the next 6 months (I wonder if their parents know this!). Separate from tablet information, 43% of students own a smartphone, with older students more likely to own one (the rate is 56% in high school). The results indicate that desire to use mobile devices in classes is highest with youngest students, decreasing with age and likely with the complexity of work being done. While 76% of elementary students want mobile devices in the classrooms, that number decreases to 61% by high school and 43% by college-level.

In terms of use, both tablets and smartphones are being used by students for academic purposes. The survey revealed that 52% of students that use a tablet for school work are using their own personal device, though that leaves an additional 48% using devices provided in school-supplied programs.

"Since the majority of students want to use mobile devices in the classroom, and because so many now own mobile devices, BYOD (bring your own device) programs and the challenge of universal access will remain a compelling topic of discussion for education leaders." - Seth Reichlin, Ph.D., Pearson’s Senior Vice President of Market Research

In our whitepaper, “Realizing the Promise of Digital Textbooks,” we discuss some of the challenges that schools face when integrating digital curriculum  including striking deals with publishers, navigating through various file formats and compatibility issues, finding tools to monitor the use of school-owned student devices, as well as removing inappropriate content and tracking down lost or stolen devices. To learn more about our solutions for the K-12 market, read here or learn about our new iPad-specific recovery service!

Financial Services